Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: new gretsch stuff

  1. #1
    Inactive Member elpatricio's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2005
    Posts
    168
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah... thats pretty grotesque, you wonder how these things get past R&D. I wish people would just leave good things as they are! [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm, not too bad... I like the low mass lugs. The mounting system is a little harsh, but better than RIMS!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Riddim's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2004
    Posts
    123
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like the idea; it may mean less pot metal soaking up freq's on the shell. The lugs should be easier to remove than the curent ones, should one end up refinishing them 10-20 years from now.

    Of course, this sets customers up to buy Gretsch's a new proprietary suspension system....

    They remind me of Sonor's lugs.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You see! This is what happens when a company tries to change without, first, bombarding me with marketing, brainwashing me into thinking it's something I just have to have.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member troutbrooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    http://www.gretschdrums.com/img/06/NC-E824.pdf

    What is up with those new lugs and suspension mounting system? Yuck!!! [img]graemlins/gulp.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Derek DeFields's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2001
    Posts
    1,144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gretsch never ceases to amaze me.... in a bad way.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member drumaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well I haven't been checking the board much in the last week or so and it's good to see some interestig threads being posted.
    As far as the "New Gretsch Stuff" is concerned I can tell you without a doubt that the New Classic Series needs to be heard and seen in person before jumping to conclusions that this is not a worhty new set for Gretsch. Here are a few particulars that may be of some interest to you;

    1 - The lugs are a re-issue of past lug styles, particularly of the old Gretsch Duco style lug from the 40's. Hence the name "New Classic".
    2 - The shells are a Maple BLEND, read between the lines here....?
    3 - The Proportionate shell design means that the larger the shell the thicker the plies are. This adds more resonate sustain to the larger drums while allowing the smaller drums to not be choked. Tuning the floor toms will be easier and less muddy.
    4 - The mounting system is new and not like the old rims mounts that tend to choke the drum at varios slants. This low mass suspension system is by far superior to the previous system. Now at all angles the drum will breathe evenly without the tension rod shift that the rims style mount puts on the heads and rods.
    5 - The new style tom brackets are now hinged instead of a slip through hole. They also include a matching memory lock. Much more attractive than the old bread box style of tom bracket.
    6 - The new badge design is similar to the old round badge design. Again a nod to the classic look of Gretsch.
    7 - The claws are a new die-cast style that won't marr the wood hoops like the old style does. They are coated on the inside to avoid scratching the hoops and they also have a rubber slip-on tension rod piece that keeps the tension rod and the claw from separating.
    8 - The snare drums have a much improved throw-off and not that lightning throw-off POS.
    9 - The Bass Drum spurs are newly designed and look to be an improvement as well.
    10 - The price for this kit is less than half the cost of a USA Custom series....

    This is just my take but here you go, I've just played one that belongs to a current touring artist (some Gretsch artists have gotten these sets ahead of time) and I can say that I've never heard a kit sound better at any price range period! This drummer was so knocked out by this kit that he was gushing over how amazing it was and couldn't stop raving about it. The sound was huge, resonant, and incredibly pure throughout the sizes. I really was surprised just how great they sounded.
    Being a Gretsch diehard for some time now I really didn't want to see the lug design change. But, after seeing and playing them I can honestly say that the 50 year wait for a new Gretsch design was well worth it.
    Anyone out there even thinking about getting a new kit this year owes it to themselves to at least hear this set at some point. This is going to be the Classic to beat for a long time.
    I play a Renown and Catalina rollaway set and I love them both but now I may have to let one go to make room for one of these new classics.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member WestWheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2005
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You know what...I think drumaddict has a great point. Did anyone really like Pearl's bulky mounting system when it came out? I think I need to hear them first before I make any rush judgments. Like him, I've been a Gretsch guy for a long time, but I'm not a trekkie about it. I think if car manufacturers can change body styles I should be able to give Gretsch a shot at it. Besides, this name has been around for over 120 years (albeit under different owners here and there); therefore, it deserves a little more respect than just dismissing it before it has even been played by the general public. I am just curious who the drummer is that was going gaga over them.

    Late!

  9. #9
    Inactive Member troutbrooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by drumaddict:
    ...the 50 year wait for a new Gretsch design was well worth it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, I will give them a chance, but I still say that aesthetically, that mounting system is hideous (to me). If I were to ever get these drums, I would customize the mounting with another company's system for sure.

    Where are they manufactured? USA? Japan?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Rhythmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2004
    Posts
    206
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's that awful champagne sparkle that gives me the heebeegeebee's. Let's see this hardware on a maple or cherry wood laquer finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •